India successfully launched the Chandrayaan-3 mission on July 14, 2023, at 2:35 PM IST from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. The spacecraft is expected to soft land on the lunar surface on August 23-24, 2023.
The Chandrayaan-3 mission is a follow-up to the Chandrayaan-2 mission, which was India’s first attempt to land on the moon. The Chandrayaan-2 mission was successful in entering lunar orbit, but the lander Vikram lost contact with ground control during the final descent.
The Chandrayaan-3 mission is a chance for India to redeem itself and to become the fourth country to successfully land on the moon. The mission is also expected to gather valuable scientific data about the moon.
Here are some interesting facts about Chandrayaan-3:
- The name Chandrayaan-3 means “moon vehicle” in Sanskrit.
- The spacecraft consists of a lander, a rover, and a propulsion module.
- The lander is named Vikram, after Vikram Sarabhai, the father of the Indian space program.
- The rover is named Pragyan, which means “wisdom” in Sanskrit.
- The propulsion module is responsible for carrying the lander and rover to the moon.
- The spacecraft is expected to soft land in the south polar region of the moon.
- The south polar region of the moon is thought to be a good place to search for water ice.
- The Chandrayaan-3 mission is expected to last for about one year.
- The lander and rover will be operational for about 14 days each.
- The success percentage of the Chandrayaan-3 mission is estimated to be about 60%.
The Chandrayaan-3 mission is a significant milestone in India’s space program. The success of the mission would be a major boost for India’s scientific and technological capabilities. The mission would also help India to become a leading player in the global space race.
In addition to the interesting facts listed above, here are some other things to know about Chandrayaan-3:
- The spacecraft is equipped with a variety of scientific instruments, including a spectrometer, a camera, and a magnetometer.
- The spectrometer will be used to study the composition of the lunar surface.
- The camera will be used to take images of the lunar surface.
- The magnetometer will be used to measure the magnetic field of the moon.
- The Chandrayaan-3 mission is also expected to help scientists to better understand the formation and evolution of the moon.
The Chandrayaan-3 mission is a truly ambitious project, and it is sure to generate a lot of excitement and interest around the world. I am excited to see how the mission unfolds and I wish the ISRO team all the best!
I hope you enjoyed this article about interesting facts about Chandrayaan-3. Please let me know if you have any other questions.